Sunday, September 30, 2007

Unnatural Attachment

While I was at work today, I noticed something that made me wonder about people's attachment to sports teams. As you probably know by now, the Mets lost today, meaning they will not be making the playoffs. Quite a shock if you consider about three months ago, they were comfortably atop their division. A "free-fall" of sorts has landed them out of the playoffs.
For most of the day, the tv was out. I was sitting next to a co-worker who happens to be a die-hard mets fan. Since the tv was out, he went on his phone to check the score. The look on his face was one of the saddest things Ive ever seen. It was as if someone had killed his dog right in front of him. All life seemed to be drained out of his body. I didnt even need him to tell me what had happened, his face said it all. People took it differently, some loud employees were completely silent, others screamed and snapped at people. Seeing this made me wonder about peoples attachment to teams. Is it natural to be so attached that whether a team wins or loses it affects you or strong? Why do people cling to sports franchises so strong. Im not sure anyone has the answer. Why do people pick the teams they do, it just seems unnatural to me. Does it mean I don't like sports, not at all, I love watching games, but I am more of a casual fan. I'll watch games and keep up with stats to a degree, but whether my team wins or loses will not affect my temperament I myself am I yankee, jet and ranger fan, but I really do not know why I picked those teams. Some kind of attachment to those players and franchises was formed years ago unknowingly. Well, im not going to over-analyze this attachment as there is no clear answer to it, just to get people thinking. Why did you pick the teams you did and why do you care so much about them?

No comments: