Sunday, September 23, 2007

My Family

While trying to think of a topic to write about, I hear the chatter coming from my kitchen. Then it hits me, what one of the things most important in the world to me, my family. Ill start at the top, my parents Mike and Doris. They both in their upper 50s, even though my mom wouldn't admit it. To be honest, I have no idea what my dads formal job is. I know hes worked at South Beach psychiatric since he was 18, close to 40 years now. On any given day I can find him home most of the day or in his office at work. Whenever I ask him what he does, he always replies " The reason yo work somewhere for 40 years, is so no one knows exactly what you do." Hes a very quite, sarcastic and one of the funniest people I know. I always believed he favored my sister heavily until my aunt said to me "Maybe its not that he favors her, maybe its cause he knows she needs it the most. He knows you and your brother can fend for yourselves and right now in her life, your sister really needs someone there for her." This put a lot of my fathers actions in a new light. He is the main problem solver of the family and keeps everything in order so the rest of us can function.
My mom works in a hair salon and she is also a real estate agent. She tries hard to make money and provide. I don't really know how to describe her, shes just my mom. Shes always been there. Shes frustrating to deal with at times, but it is because shes overly protective and overly affectionate. She is much more open to my dad, nearly exact opposite. Very outwardly affectionate and friendly.
My sister Lauren. She is 25, just out of Law School and right into her first law job. She lived in Albany the last 3 years for school. She managed to get a job with the city as a prosecutor on Staten Island so that means shes back home for the time being. Her personality is a mix of my mom and dad. She can be very sarcastic like my dad, and has my moms stubbornness. Shes the hard worker of the family. She graduated Manga Cum Laude from Albany law and Dean's list from St. Johns.
My brother Mike, the black sheep of the family. He recently turned 30 and has a job as a commodities broker. Hes had some bad luck with jobs, mostly cause by 9/11 which caused him to lose his job on the stock market floor. Hes the one who always seems to be causing trouble, but he has calmed down as hes gotten older. That doesn't stop the family from re-telling classic trouble stories of him at every family gathering. Hes not married, but has had a girlfriend for a while. I don't think anyone is expecting marriage, more like waiting for when he messes this one up. It might seem mean, but he knows hes the oddball and sometimes feels like hes trying to play the part. Some of his past accomplishments were graduating from Wagner on Dean's List, being captain of the Farrel and Wagner hockey teams and even going to nationals with Wagner. They were actually one of the better teams, but one reckless night from some of his teammates caused them to be disqualified from the tournament. Something I think hes still bitter about but would never admit.
Thats my immediate family. Maybe If i run out of topics I can get into my extended famil, but thats for another times.

1 comment:

larine said...

i like the why you describing your family really its a nice essay