Sunday, September 16, 2007

College

The last few months have gone by incredibly fast. It feels like just last week I was a senior in New Dorp High School. Senior year was by far my favorite year. Leaving early, having next to no school work and generally having more freedom than other years. It was also my first year having a job during school. My job for those who don't know is as a cashier in Shoprite in New Dorp. Being just a five minute walk from school, made everything very convenient. While the work itself is annoyingly boring, I love the people I work with, many of them have become like a second family.
Summer flew by so fast I couldn't believe it. Starting college felt so far away, then all of sudden it was tomorrow. Now that Ive finally started, its not like what I expected. The workload is so much greater, and so much reading to do. Ive already felt like I'm slipping behind, something Ive never felt in school before. I have always been in the top tier classes with putting minimal effort towards my work. Having to really think about my assignments, combined with the rust from summer and a lackadaisical senior year and working way too much has led to a shaky start. However, I am making strides to fix it. Ive recently told my employer that I'm taking all Tuesdays to Thursdays off for my school work. Having those days off every week will give my much more time to finish my work and do ALL of my readings. Hopefully I don't drown in all this unfinished work before I can catch up.

No comments: