Monday, November 26, 2007

Maximum the Hormone

Im going to use a band I know very few people reading this blog have heard of for my second band profile, Maximum the Hormone.

Maximum the Hormone is a four member Japanese rock band.Their first album was released in 1998 with little success. Two years later the band split, with Suigi and Key leaving the band. The remaining members, Nawo and Daisuke recruited Ue-Chan at bass and Nawo's brother, Ryo for guiatar and melodic vocals.

Why I love this band? I cannot understand what they are saying in their songs (though from the translations and summaries I have read, the lyrics do not make logical sense in ant language), but their melodies and tones are amazing. What sets this band apart from other bands in my opinion? All their members contribute vocals. Each song has such vocal variation, then melodic variation to match the vocals, each song sounds so different from one another and never gets boring. Hearing the band go from hard metal sounds with Daisuke's screaming, to Ryo's melodic pop sounds to Nawo's soft feminine vocals in the same song really set this band apart from other bands for me. Heres a link to their song "Koi no Suito kuso merikan," its one of my favorites, which is very lucky since there has apparently been a purge of many of their videos from youtube. I do admit, they sound a bit better in studio than live. Their live stuff isnt bad, but I just feel their studio work is superior, but still nothing beats the feeling of live performances.

No comments: