Monday, December 3, 2007

Dave Matthews Band

For the third band profile, the Dave Matthews Band. I've been a fan since I heard my sister blasting them from the room next to mine. We used to have music fights, with one party raising their volume and the other reciprocating to a higher degree. This was the one band I never fought with and just let it play. Their style and just overall unique feeling from other music in modern times makes them stick out. There is plenty of modern bands I like, but this band is one of the only whose spirit you can just feel from their songs. After discovering that I only had one track from them on my ipod (a travesty) I downloaded their best of cd, "The Best of Whats Around." It actually happens to be a rather large band, so going into how each individual member joined could take a rather long time. Basically, Dave Matthews was a bartender in Virginia and a lawyer friend convinced him to make a three track demo. Everything snowballed from there.

There older stuff is much more mature and less pop-y sounding then their past 2 cds, even though some of the tracks off those are actually very good. The Space Between and Crash into me rank as two of my favorite songs off the top of my head. I have been waiting for their new cd, which seems to have been limbo forever. There is no real release date yet, but one track has been released on itunes for download titled "Eh eh" in late august. The track had the modern DMB pop sound to it which has made some people doubtful for the new album, that combined with their old producer departing ways with the band leave the bands future unsure.

No comments: